The scourge of sexting in schools (Aust)

first_imgThe Daily Telegraph 20 September 2014Teachers say that last year there were five times as many reports of students sending unwanted suxually explicit photos to classmates than in 2012.A report by the Department of Education says there were just 10 incidents reported in 2012, but the number soared to 54 last year.In one incident at a southwest Sydney school in 2012, a Year 9 girl uploaded a naked image of herself on a website.A female student from ­another school saw the image, took a photo of it, and sent it to another student — who sent it to everyone in her mobile phone contacts.In a 2013 incident in the New England region, a teacher overheard male students talking about “inappropriate” photos being sent by a female student. Police were called to the school after it was discovered the girl had “multiple, ­inappropriate photographs of unknown males” in her phone.http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/the-scourge-of-sexting-in-schools/story-fni0cx12-1227064508423?nk=4008291d84e0b117bf5bcf717f0fdbfelast_img read more

Ohio St. ‘tattoogate’ transfer finds home at Duquesne

first_imgThis season, as a linebacker at Duquesne, his home stadium is really just a field, and it seats 2,200. His Dukes play in the Football Championship Subdivision, and at 7-2, with a 5-1 mark in the Northeast Conference, they are on their way to perhaps a banner season.The contrast is remarkable, clearly. But to Bell, he’ll take this Catholic school in the heart of his hometown any day.Once considered a top prospect for former coach Jim Tressel’s Buckeyes, Ohio State’s ongoing season of mayhem is a thing of the past for Bell. After two unsettled seasons in Columbus, including being one of the suspended players in the much-publicized tattoo-parlor scandal, Bell has found his way back home to his native Pittsburgh and he is set to make the most of it.He became eligible to play last month, and suddenly is a part of a first-place Northeast Conference team with a bright future…and just a little less pressure.“I wanted to play right away,” Bell said, “and my mindset is to be with the team right now and get together as a team and excel from here.”A consensus five-star recruit out of Gateway High in Monroeville, Pa., Bell’s stay at Ohio State was short. And it ended when the 6-foot-1, 225-pound redshirt sophomore was suspended for the season back in the summer by Tressel for repeated violations of team rules.In his first four games this season, Bell asserted himself as a force to be reckoned with. He had 10 solo tackles, two for losses, including a 9-yard sack.“He’s a talent. You could see that in his first game and in practice,” Duquesne wide receiver Connor Dixon said. “We’re happy to have him here.”And he should know all about how Bell feels in his new surroundings. After all, Dixon, also a Pittsburgh native, transferred back to his hometown from Michigan State.In his first game back against Bryant, Bell did not start but finished with six tackles and one quarterback hurry. More importantly, his Dukes opened conference play with a win.“I was a little bit rusty,” he said. “But it felt good to get back out there.”It indeed has been a long road back to the field. After sitting out his freshman year at Ohio State on a redshirt, Bell played sparingly for the Buckeyes in a backup role in 2010. That ended up being the least of his problems.He became caught up in Ohio State’s highly publicized tattoo-parlor scandal involving improper benefits. He was suspended by the NCAA for five games. And before his resignation, Tressel even added to that, giving him a season long suspension for additional violations of team rules.Bell has declined to discuss details of the suspensions, but did say that he accepts responsibility for his actions.“I put a lot of stock into it,” he said. “I think that God has always been watching over me. He’s done things for me that I never thought I was going to come through. He delivered, and it’s a miracle.”Bell is among 12 players suspended at Ohio State since last December, the most notable being quarterback Terrelle Pryor, another Pittsburgh-area product, who went on to be selected by the Oakland Raiders in the NFL’s supplemental draft.Bell and Pryor, a Jeannette, Pa., native, were among those suspended for five games for accepting cash and free or discounted tattoos in exchange for Ohio State memorabilia.Without the ability to play for the Buckeyes for the foreseeable future, Bell departed Ohio State in August.“I have a few people out there that I keep in touch with,” he said. “I feel like they care about me, and I like that.”But, clearly, it was time to move on.“All the things that I did in the past are in the past,” Bell said. “I’m trying to be here with my new teammates. Ohio State was a great place, but I just wanted to be back home. It feels awesome. My parents are right around the corner from me. I’ve got a lot of support from my family.”And from his new team.Duquesne coach Jerry Schmitt, in his seventh season with the Dukes, said Bell has been a role model to other players, a presence they can look up to.“He’s doing everything that he can, all the right things to get acclimated to our Duquesne football family,” Schmitt said. “He’s really working hard on his academics and getting to know the other players.“He’s been very receptive to everything.”Bell is getting more in step with the game’s speed as time goes on. But he knows he has a lot to prove, and Schmitt is expecting big things from him.“It’s too hard to tell where he’s at right now, but you can see the movements. You can see the bursts,” Schmitt said. “He can make plays.”And while Pryor has moved on to the NFL, Bell continues his dream of perhaps doing the same.“Right now, I’m just concentrating on this season, my teammates and my coaches,” he said. “Whatever happens, happens.” PITTSBURGH (AP)—To say things have changed in Dorian Bell’s football career from last year to this, would be an understatement. Last season, as a linebacker at Ohio State, his home stadium seated 102,329. His Buckeyes were ranked, they were headed toward a Big Ten title, and they had their sights set on a national championship. BACK HOME —Duquesne linebacker Dorian Bell (2) walks the sidelines against Bryant University Oct. 1 waiting to return to action in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Duquesne University, Dave DeNoma) last_img read more

Brookdale Community College Names Dr. Maureen Murphy As Next President

first_imgLINCROFT – The Board of Trustees of Brookdale Community College announced this week that Dr. Maureen Murphy, President at San Jacinto College South in Houston, Texas, has been named President of Brookdale, effective July 1. She will succeed interim President William Toms, who is returning to continue his consulting practice.The new President is no stranger to the area: her parents grew up in Monmouth County, she has relatives in Red Bank and Atlantic Highlands.In announcing the appointment of Dr. Murphy, Josh Elkes, chair of Brookdale’s Board of Trustees, stated, “We are extremely pleased to bring a top caliber teacher, administrator, and institutional leader to Brookdale Community College. Maureen Murphy has an outstanding record of achievement in development, grant writing, academics, and college operations. She is committed to building on Brookdale’s reputation as the No. 1 degree-awarding community college in New Jersey.” Dr. Murphy will be the first woman president in the college’s history.The appointment concludes a search launched in the fall of 2011, led by an eleven member committee including three trustees, three faculty members, three administrators, one current student and one community member. The committee, chaired by Trustee Chair Elkes, chose Dr. Murphy and two others as finalists among 93 initial candidates. The full Board of Trustees accumulated feedback from faculty, students, and staff. A careful analysis of the feedback and a final interview process by the Trustees resulted in Murphy’s selection.“The college community can be proud that this search attracted so many highly qualified candidates,” said Elkes. “From this competitive field, the Trustees unanimously determined that Dr. Murphy’s experience and qualifications are suited to the administrative, academic and funding challenges that Brookdale will face as we write the next chapter of our history. I’m confident she will build on our successes here at Brookdale and lead us to successfully implement our vision for the future.”During her five years as president of San Jacinto College South, Murphy led an academic institution with significant similarities to Brookdale, college officials said.Established in 1979, San Jacinto College South has 11,150 students and 145 full-time faculty on a 150-acre campus; Brookdale has 14,950 students and 250 full-time faculty on its 220-acre Lincroft campus. San Jacinto has also experienced familiar funding challenges, with state appropriations for community colleges falling nearly 30% while Brookdale’s has declined 60%.To keep enrollment strong, Dr. Murphy expanded recruitment efforts into the community, including churches and community centers, and aggressively pursued and procured grants to help replace lost state revenue. As a result, San Jacinto College South today acquires more of its enrollment in competition with other colleges, with 52% of students residing out-of-district. San Jacinto also participates in the competitive Division 1 athletics of the NJCAA while Brookdale is in Division 3. Some notable San Jacinto athletes include former NBA all-stars Sam Cassel and Steve Francis, as well as MLB’s Andy Pettitte.As President, Dr. Murphy secured state and federal grants to build both the community and the workforce, including funding for nursing, health care training and the humanities. She forged cultural, academic and workforce development partnerships with institutions including the General Consul of Spain and a consortium of eight surrounding hospitals. The campus hosts the Aerospace & Biotechnology Academy, a college-wide initiative undertaken in cooperation with the NASA-Johnson Space Center.Dr. Murphy also looks forward to continuing her focus on returning veterans, having actively worked to establish a Veteran’s Center at San Jacinto. She aspires to place that same emphasis on welcoming returning veterans into the Brookdale community.Earlier in her career, Dr. Murphy was chief academic and student services officer of Rappahannock Community College and Wytheville Community College, both in Virginia. Prior to these administrative positions, she rose through the academic ranks as an instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, and later Dean of Mathematics and Communications at St. Louis Community College – Meramec. Dr. Murphy earned a Ph.D. in American Studies from Saint Louis University, an M.A. in English from the University of Missouri – Columbia, and a B.A. in English from the University of Louisville.Dr. Maureen Murphy, president of San Jacinto College South in Houston, Tx., will become president of Brookdale Community College on July 1. She will be Brookdale’s first female president.last_img read more

Front Street Convenience Store Debate Continues

first_imgOwners want a 24-hour operation, neighbors disagreeRED BANK — The owners of a convenience store expected to replace the Welsh Farms on East River Road and Spring Street want the store to remain open around-the-clock, but neighbors say the plan will disturb the peace.The borough Planning Board on Monday continued to hear the application for Dina Enterprises, Inc., which is seeking the board’s approval to convert the Welsh Farms convenience store, 9-11 Spring Street, into a 7-Eleven, much to the consternation of area residents who have expressed strong opposition to the store remaining open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.When the lawyer and representatives for Dina first appeared before the board on March 5, the lawyer, Philip San Filippo, began making his case that the original approval, which the borough Zoning Board of Adjustment granted back in 1975, never limited the number of hours the location could operate, and given the provisions of the borough zoning, could not now prohibit 7-Eleven from staying open.In response, Mayor and Planning Board member Pasquale Menna recommended that the borough planner evaluate the application, borough master plan and the nearly 40 year approval for the site and offer an opinion for the location and this use.Richard Crammer, the borough planner said on Monday the original approval never intended to allow for an around-the-clock operation.Crammer said the original approval did not specifically mention operating hours, either by the zoning board or the borough council. However, he continued, the original site plan the applicant submitted contained a notation indicating they intended to be open 7 a.m.-11 p.m. And that should “be construed as part of the conditions,” he said.“If the mayor and council felt so strongly about the hours of operations couldn’t they have made it one of the conditions?” San Filippo asked.“The board relies on the totality of what is presented,” including the notations on the site plan documents, Crammer responded.San Filippo detailed that the approvals and those meetings’ minutes contained no specific mention of limiting when the business could operate. And he and his engineer and planner, Robert P. Freud, went on to argue that this zone, the BR-1 Zone, is the same as the section of Bridge Avenue and the NJ Transit commuter rail station, which has a WaWa convenience store, open all day. “A wholly permitted use,” according to Freud.Menna suggested that borough council and zoning board members who served in 1975 offer insight as to what they were thinking in making their decision.“That is for the board to decide if that is an important fundamental issue,” said Board Attorney Michael Leckstein.The East Front Street site, “sits in a special place, between the downtown and the residential zone,” Crammer said. And the original approval was for a gas station and grocery store.Asif Khalid, a senior real estate representative for the 7-Eleven Corporation, said the chain may have originally operated 7 a.m.-11 p.m. in the company’s nearly 80-year existence, but needs to expand hours to compete in the modern marketplace. “Every decision we make is in the best interest of the customer,” Khalid said, noting the company doesn’t call them customers, instead calling them “guests.”“Honestly, customers’ needs have changed considerably,” he said.The board is expected to again hear and very likely vote on this application on April 16.last_img read more


first_imgRosses Athletic club notes 22nd FebruarySportshall continues in RCS gym ,Dungloe .First group is from 5.45pm to 6.45 for athletes born 2006-2007-2008 with coaches Leanne Sharkey, Emer Mc Gee and Grace Garvie.second session is from 6.45pm-7.45pm for athletes born 2005 and older with coaches Louise Gillespie and Sean McGinley . fee is euro 2. Lúthchleasaíoct faoi dhíon ar an Luan 15/2/16 agus achan Luan 6pm-7pm sa Gym, i bPoalscoil Ghaoth Dobhair do pháistí 7mbliana d’aois agus níos sine.Fáilte roimh achan nduine.Táille €2.Adult training continues Tuesdays and Thursdays in the estate Gweedore starting at 7pm meeting at Euro flex. All levels of athletes welcome. Reminder that registration is now due prices for 2016 are as follows adult 20,1st child 15 euro 2nd child 15 euro 3rd child 10 euro family 40 euro. Registration starts from the calender year ( January-December) and must be renewed each January.The All Ireland Indoor Championships takes place at the National Indoor Arena in Athlone over the weekend of 12/13 and 19th of March 2016. Below is a list of club athletes who have qualified from the Ulster Indoors in Magherafelt and are eligible to compete at the National Finals. Any club member who has not already confirmed their availability for the finals in Athlone please do so by contacting the club email at [email protected] or call / text club mobile on 0834665734 before 25th February 2016.All Ireland Indoor Finals at National Indoor Arena in AthloneSat. 12th March________________________check in closes @ 9.30am_/ afternoon event @ 1.30pmPatrick Marry U.14 High Jump 11.00amAoife McGee U.12 60m Sprint 2.30pm HeatsJordan Gallagher under. 13 shot put 10.00amEmma Brown U.15 60m Sprint 2.30pm Heats Sun 13th March check in closes @ 9.30am_/ afternoon event @ 1.30pmAmber Gallagher U.12 Shot Putt 10.00amMaeve Boyle U.12 Shot Putt 10.00amEmilly Croke U.14 Shot Putt 12.00pm Leah McGarvey U.14 High Jump 1.30pmSat. 19th March________________________check in closes @ 9.30am_/ afternoon event @ 1.30pmThomas Marry U.17 Shot Putt 1.30pmRelay Teams – 10.30am HeatsBoys GirlsJohnson Bangora Emma BrownCianan Gallagher Leah McGarveyKyle Doohan Emma DohertyJoe Sharkey Shannon MccreadyConor CoyleÁdh mór ar bhaill an chumainn a bhéas ag glacadh páirt igcluichí ceannais na h-Éireann, in Áth Luain. I mí MhártaATHLETICS: ROSSES AC ATHLETES TO TAKE PART IN ALL-IRELAND INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS was last modified: February 23rd, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:athleticsROSSES ACSportlast_img read more


first_imgThe scene this evening in the car park at the Emergency Department donegaldaily.comLETTERKENNY Hospital was flooded again, the HSE has now said, but it’s not as bad as last year.“After torrential rain in the Letterkenny area earlier this evening, there has been some flooding at Letterkenny General Hospital,” said a sombre Letterkenny Hospital spokesman.“As the car park and roadway are flooded, access to the Emergency Department is very curtailed. There is a low level of flooding due to water leaking into the reception and administrative areas at the Emergency Department but clinical areas have not been affected. “Patients already in the Emergency Department and hospital inpatients have not been affected.“To expedite the clean up, the Emergency Department has gone off call until midnight after which it is expected full services will be restored.“As the Emergency Department is inaccessible due to external flooding, patients are being asked to attend their GP or Nowdoc or to go to Sligo Regional Hospital or Altagelvin.“The emergency services are at the scene,” he added.  HSE STATEMENT: EMERGENCIES DIVERTED TO DERRY AND SLIGO – HOSPITAL WAS FLOODED was last modified: August 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:againfloodedHSE statementletterkenny hospitallast_img read more

SODIAL(R) Silver Tone Stripe Rhinestone Plastic Black Hair Comb for Ladies : Great. Holds up my hair which just touches my

first_imgFantastic hair comb, very well packaged.Combs lengthier than they seem, but wonderful. Strong and sturdy, wonderful for thick hair.SODIAL(R) Silver Tone Stripe Rhinestone Plastic Black Hair Comb for LadiesProduct Name : Hair Comb;Material : PlasticColor : Black, Silver ToneHair Comb Size : 10.5 x 5 cm / 4.1″ x 2″ (L*W)Weight : 10gFantastic hair comb, very well packaged.Good,but alternatively big,and took a prolonged time to arrive,.Good for those people with thick hair. Pleasant, large comb with a lot of sparkle.SODIAL(R) Silver Tone Stripe Rhinestone Plastic Black Hair Comb for Ladies : Combs longer than they appear, but beautiful. Strong and sturdy, great for thick hair. Out which is these a shame as it really is so rather. Incredibly huge and flimsy so does not remain in my hair for more than half an hour prior to slipping out which is these types of a disgrace as it really is so pretty.Good,but alternatively big,and took a prolonged time to arrive,.Out which is these a shame as it really is so rather. Incredibly huge and flimsy so does not remain in my hair for more than half an hour prior to slipping out which is these types of a disgrace as it really is so pretty.Holds up my hair which just touches my. Retains up my hair which just touches my shoulder and is fairly thick. Comb excellent is great for the price. Assistance quick and the comb arrived nicely packed. Would use this vendor all over again.Good for those people with thick hair. Pleasant, large comb with a lot of sparkle.last_img read more

The First 30 Days of Reintegration – Part 1 of 4: The Honeymoon Phase

first_imgWe know that military deployments impact not only Service members, but their families as well.  Deployments are a time of separation, changing roles, sacrifice, missed life experiences and fear.  As Service members return home the reintegration phase can be challenging as families become reacquainted, reset expectations, and renegotiate roles.This 30 Day Reintegration series, originally published as MFLN Family Transitions Facebook posts in the spring of 2015, provides an intimate insight into the reintegration experience of one active duty Air Force couple.  Their story, unique for this family but also probably similar to other military family reintegration stories, reminds us of the joys and challenges military couples and families face.  It is our hope that this four part blog series will help military service providers understand the range of emotions family members experience during reintegration.  These emotions may or may not be visible or communicated outside of the home, but they truly impact the family’s mental and physical health as well as their ability to serve, work, volunteer and function.  Be observant and prepared to ask service members, partners and children specific questions about their reintegration experience to identify how you can help and find needed resources.This 4-part blog features 30 days of post-deployment journaling by what we’ve been calling our “30-Day Couple”.  Their names are not used to provide anonymity.  What is their back story?  He enlisted in the Air Force during his last year of high school because of career and education benefits.  The couple went to high school together but didn’t start dating until he returned from Basic Combat Training and Tech School.  After he was assigned to his first duty station they had a brief long distance relationship.  She dropped out of college so they could get married, but didn’t continue her education due to limited funds.  She quickly learned that the military lifestyle applied to her as a military spouse, stating “It’s become an OUR thing”!  As a Flying Crew Chief he has a fast paced job and is frequently away from home.  They have three children.  She left her job to stay home with the children to avoid childcare due to his frequent absences.  She is active in many groups on base and receives support from other military spouses.  “When you have a military friend you have a friend for life”.  She is a Key Spouse volunteer and works hard to provide support to other military spouses.They believe that their family is stronger because of the military experience.  They feel the kids have gained confidence and have benefited from learning how to adjust and adapt to whatever military life throws at them. They appreciate the steady income the military provides, but agree that being a military family has influenced their life course.  They are hesitant to buy a home in case they have to move.  They haven’t gotten a family pet because they may PCS overseas.  Education has been put on hold for her. Given his job expectations she “assumes” that he is not going to be there.  She know she can rely on his support, but doesn’t rely on him physically being there. They acknowledge that “military transitions happen just as fast as family transitions”.Continue reading to learn about this couples’ first five days of reintegration.  During this ‘honeymoon’ phase observe how the family reconnected and the wide range of emotions felt by each family member.************Day 1 – HerSo here is my first 24hours…. After impatiently waiting for hubby to be done checking in his equipment, it’s finally 1am by the time we get home. Everyone is asleep and it’s wonderful to be with my hubby. Determined to not throw off my kids’ normal day, I get the day started. I have to confess that more than once I was frustrated that things weren’t going the way I wanted them. Trying not to mom block him I just keep trying to keep the kids on time for school. As soon as the kids were at school and hubby made all his calls to work, I just wanted my time. Spent the day doing whatever he wanted to do. Hitting up his favorite restaurants. A lot of “I love you” and “I’ve missed you” was said all day long. I struggled with jealousy a lot today. Jealous that work was on his mind, the kids forgot me a little. Still today was great. I have him home. I got to talk face to face, and I’m gratefulDay 1 – HimMy first 24 hours back from my latest deployment was primarily one of observation. So many things have changed since I left so many months ago. I could spend all day voicing every change I noticed, but instead I elected to try and focus on the bigger differences that affected my family. Examples of these included my son’s new adult teeth or how tall my oldest daughter had gotten or even how talkative our youngest had become. These, along with so many other changes, were a bit hard for me to really accept. I didn’t really imagine my children any taller when they ran toward me upon my return than their height I remembered them at when I left. I had received my redeployment brief about how important it was to ease back into family life, so I tried to do just that. I pitched in helping with the kids as much as I could, but things like discipline I chose to avoid since I wasn’t sure how my wife had been handling those situations. My time home so far has been filled by elation and euphoria, all while hoping this feeling will last forever. Despite these changes, I’m extremely thankful to be home with my wife and children and look forward to adapting to the changes that inherently await me to discoverDay 2 – HerToday has been a quiet day. Hubby stepped in and took the dad role so effortlessly. Running the kids to their practices, and picking up vegetables from the farmer’s market. He was amazing letting me have plenty of time alone and not having a little one need me. I don’t feel like I struggled with anything today. Just really enjoyed having someone to share the day with and help with the responsibilities.Day 2 – HimToday I decided to jump into taking care of some things on my “Honey Do” list. I saw this as an opportunity to impress my wife, since I felt I had left her to do everything on her own for the past few months. This feeling was magnified by the fact that we have three children, ranging in ages between 2 and 9. I was in awe of how much she had taken care of while I was gone and only wanted to prove to her just how much I appreciated how much she has done. I hope to find my place in this “new norm” and contribute as best I can throughout these next thirty days home.Day 3 – HerToday we felt bored. The excitement of finally having my whole family together again is starting to wear off. I found myself asking my kids what I would normally be doing. The obvious answer was cleaning, cooking or on FaceTime with daddy. There wasn’t as much motivation to finish the to-do list but was still worked on. Preparations were made for hubby to go into work tomorrow. Not ready for the reality check then, but the sooner he gets his in-processing done the sooner we can go on family vacation. The kids have loved playing and jumping around with daddy, and not sure how they will feel about seeing him gone in the morning before they wake up. Our youngest has been wrapped around him this whole time. She may be very cranky tomorrow. Day 3 – HimWe decided today was going to be a lazy day. We’ve gone out shopping and stopped in at a few restaurants these past couple of days in part to celebrate being all together again and partly to indulge in what I had missed over the past few months. Due to these indulgences, we decided to stay in today. We tried to clean the house a bit and I finally tried to tackle unpacking, but the laziness of the day prevailed. I only started a few chores and, instead, lounged while watching a few movies. I played with the kids even more today than I did before I left. Although today was a lazy day, I remembered through the Resiliency courses that I’ve taught others, that even small moment with your loved ones count. It was important to me that my children understood that daddy had each of their undivided attention. Today was less about fitting back in as it was just enjoying the presence of familyDay 4 – HerToday has been a roller coaster. First day back to work. One of the things that helped it work was that hubby went into work late. He was able to see the kids off to school. As soon as my son woke up to see his daddy back in uniform he did his best Charlie Brown impression “ugh!” We made sure the kids knew daddy would not be home when they got home from school but he would be bringing home pizza when he did, they were content with that. A touchy subject that came up was our date night. A babysitter was scheduled three weeks ago for this night. It was important to me. I had asked several times about what would we do. At first I was told hubby wasn’t ready to think about that while he was overseas. Then when hubby got home he made me feel I was nagging him. Today hubby told me that I was making him mad because he felt forced to be romantic. I didn’t speak to him for a few hours. Later he texted me to tell me he made reservations at a waterfront restaurant. We were able to then talk out how we were feeling and what he meant when he misspoke. The kids were surprisingly good today, even my son brought home a note from teachers saying it was a wonderful day. This is great because during the deployment we had gotten several letters saying he was being disruptive and twice sent to the principal’s office. My oldest daughter was crying about us leaving her with a babysitter while we go on date. We gave her an iPod that she can use to text us all night long to make her feel better. Over all that day was good but trying at times.Day 4 – HimI had to go in to work today to start my in-processing. Typically, someone who has just come back from a deployment feels sort of out of place, but this time I felt particularly displaced since my entire section had moved while I was gone! I had relatively little issue finding the location, but the new processes therein were a different story. I’m only there long enough to complete due/overdue training as well as making my mandatory post-deployment appointments, but I still felt more out of place than I’ve ever felt with previous deployments. I decided that the best way to tackle this new role/environment was to take things slowly. Only asking questions about that which would affect me now versus trying to solve everything at once. I’ve still got plenty of questions at this present time; however, I decided upon this approach as it would break down an otherwise overwhelming feeling that would eat at me until I felt every question was answered. I pushed through the day and finally made it home to my loving family with whom I can always find solace in during a trying day. Now with the business aspect of the day behind me, my wife and I had plans to go on a date that night. I wish I had poured just as much effort into putting the night together as she had, but I had redeemed myself at the last minute by making a reservation at an upscale waterfront restaurant. This was followed by a bar hop and finally a fudge shop to bring home a few treats. I definitely experienced a gamut of emotions, but I would consider today altogether a win.Day 5 – HerLast night while out with hubby, he decided to tell me some of the things that he could not share with me during the deployment. Most of it had me scared but the worst part was him showing me pictures of bullet holes. I had already known about one instance that made it to the news here but I wasn’t aware of the others. Normally he doesn’t tell me anything about the places he has been; giving me the excuse of what if he goes back he wouldn’t want to worry me. I have gotten very used to that, so no point in asking. But this worried me. More than just because of all the dangers but also because it was out of the norm to share. My first question after he told me was are you going to have an appointment to talk to someone about all of this. He more or less laughed it off….The exciting thing that happened today is we booked a family trip. Looking forward to having fun with my family.Day 5 – HimI woke up this morning just a little before 5 a.m. to start my routine for work. I’m having to train myself again to start functioning this early in the day and find the motivation to make today a great one. I decided that it would be a good time to count my blessings since I hadn’t done it in a while. I usually teach that for every one negative thought, you should always counter it with three positives. I guess I could consider the time in which I had to get up a negative, but nonetheless I proceeded with the positives. First, I was home! I wasn’t separated from my family somewhere ending in “stan.” Second, traffic was a breeze this morning. Third, I haven’t officially started work yet, just in-processing, so I have very little responsibility and can worry about just myself for the time being until I get back from my reconstitution time off (R&R). All this to say that I had a pretty good day, however, my night turned out to be less than stellar. Our two older kids had Taekwondo, and while the oldest was quite disciplined, the middle decided to act out a bit. It was to be expected, but the same behavior reared back to life during dinner as well, but progressively got worse. Once one child gets a laugh from misbehaving, the dominos start to fall and the others play copy-cat until my wife and I had enough. We generally have well-mannered kids, but I guess the day wore on them as it was starting to wear on us. The night may not have ended on a high note, but at least I can always go back to those blessings to remind myself all that I am grateful for.************The first several days of reintegration following a deployment can provide both joys and challenges for military families.  What were your thoughts as you read about this family’s efforts to reconnect and the range of emotions experienced by each family member?  How might these insights impact how you as a military family service professional help families prepare for this honeymoon phase?  Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.Watch for Part 2 of 4 of this reintegration blog series, Establishing New Routines, which will be posted in one week.To learn more about current research related to reintegration, issues military families face during reintegration, as well as how these findings may impact programs and policies check out this archived webinar, “The Experience of Reintegration for Military Families and Implications for DoD” held mid-May.MFLN Family Transitions Development provides education, resources and networking opportunities for professionals working with military families to build resilience and navigate life cycle transitions. Find out more about the Military Families Learning Network Family Transitions on our website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.last_img read more

9 months agoAtletico Madrid defender Godin agrees Inter Milan terms

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Atletico Madrid defender Godin agrees Inter Milan termsby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAtletico Madrid defender Diego Godin has assured Inter Milan he’ll join them in the summer, it has been revealed.Off contract in June, El Larguero says Godin has assured Inter he’ll make the move in June.He has agreed terms over a two-year deal worth €5.5m-a-season with the option for a third.Godin has made the decision after Atletico refused to offer more than a 12-month deal for the veteran to renew.The captain had been seeking a two-year contract and is disappointed by Atletico’s unwillingness to meet his demands. last_img read more

2016 Big 12 Tournament Bracket, Schedule, Analysis

first_imgBig 12 Team logos around the center big 12 logo.Twitter/Big 12The regular season is over, and we’re now jumping into one of the great events on the sports calendar: March Madness. The major conference tournaments kick off next week, with things kicking off on Wednesday, March 9. Kansas State and Oklahoma State open things up from the Sprint Center in Kansas City, with the winner advancing to face regular season champion Kansas. West Virginia finished a wild regular season in second place, and will get the Texas Tech-TCU winner. Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Texas have also all spent time in the polls this season. Kansas is the definite favorite here, but all of these teams are capable of making a run. Ticket information for the Big 12 Tournament is available here.Here is the full tournament bracket:2016 big 12 tournamentEvery Big 12 Tournament game will be broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU.Favorite: Kansaskansas logoThe Jayhawks ran away from the pack in February to lock up an astounding 12th straight Big 12 title. At this point, a Kansas regular season championship just feels like a certainty. The tournament has provided a bit more drama in recent years, but right now the Jayhawks are playing the best ball in the league. Veteran forward Perry Ellis mans the frontcourt for KU, averaging 16.5 points, tops on the team. He’s surrounded by a very talent group of guards. Juniors Frank Mason III and Wayne Selden Jr., and sophomore Devonte’ Graham all average over 11 points per game, and all shoot over 40-percent from three point range. They make for a very difficult group to shut down, because of their scoring balance. Kansas is currently a favorite to land the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. With a decent showing in Kansas City, they may lock it up.Sleeper: TexastexasIt took a little while for the Longhorns to adjust to Shaka Smart’s “Havoc” system. Texas dropped a number of non-conference games early, and even fell to lowly TCU early in Big 12 play, 58-57. At that point, Smart’s team was 9-6, and looked like a great bet to miss the NCAA Tournament. Three days later, the Longhorns upset No. 17 Iowa State, and they’ve been competitive since. They split the season series’ with the Cyclones, Baylor, and Oklahoma, and swept West Virginia. Kansas handled Texas in both of their games, including a blowout 86-56 win on February 29, so running into the Jayhawks may make things tough, if that match-up comes to fruition in the Big 12 semifinals. We never count out Shaka Smart in a tournament, though. The system can be very hard to prepare for with quick turnarounds, and the Longhorns get better at playing in it by the game.last_img read more